Parents can play an important role in encouraging an active and healthy lifestyle for their child. Activity in children helps develop physical strength and coordination as well as qualities like cooperation, perseverance and self-discipline.
With so many sports to choose from, your child is likely to find something they enjoy. If your child shows a particular interest in a sport or activity, look into programs through you local school, park district and community.
Experts recommend that children participate in at least 60 minutes of physical activity each day. A few ways to be active include walking, jumping rope, playing tag, swimming, dancing and playing basketball. Parents can be physically active role models by encouraging active family activities such as walking, biking or hiking. Active parents are more likely to have active children!
There are many benefits of regular physical activity for children:
• Children who lead an active lifestyle are likely to remain active as adults.
• Helps build and maintain healthy bones and muscles.
• Helps control weight, build lean muscle and reduce fat.
• Reduces feelings of depression, stress and anxiety.
• Promotes psychological well-being, including higher levels of self-esteem.
• Increases flexibility and aerobic endurance.
• Higher grades are associated with vigorous physical activity.
Nutrition is an important part to leading an active and healthy lifestyle. As a parent, if you eat healthy foods, your child will too. Eating healthy foods at a young age is the best way to eat right for a lifetime.
Encourage your child to Dream Big and Go For It!